Friday, February 13, 2009

today

It's obvious. Today is Friday the 13th (...and my friggin birthday!!) and I don't know whether to be ecstatic or depressed. It's funny how birthdays are celebrated despite the fact that we're actually growing older by the year... such a misconception but that's reality.

I can say that I'm in a comfortable position however as I only turned 20 today (not 21), whereas some other friends of mine are already turning 21.

Anyway, so being 2 decades old already, what will being in the 20's be like? Graduating uni in the early 20's (for me, it'll be at 21 most likely) and working a full-time paying job... becoming even more independent and continuing to realise that nothing in this world is for free... meaning to support the family in anyway possible especially during this economic crisis and parents having to struggle with jobs... being a great elder sister for my younger cousin as well as a middle sister for both my younger and older sister... and whatever else I can't think of right now.

On the context of today...

'Friday the 13th is a superstition about a day of good or bad luck.'

The fear of Friday the 13th is called 'paraskavedekatriaphobia', a word derived from the Greek words Paraskeví (meaning Friday), and dekatreís (meaning thirteen), attached to phobía (meaning fear). This is a specialized form of triskaidekaphobia, a simple phobia of the number thirteen, and is also known as friggatriskaidekaphobia. - wikipedia.

Of course there are other fridays and other people's birthdays that fall on the 13th as well, but I wonder... if there had been any good or bad incidents that happened on someone's friday the 13th birthday. So far for me, there's only the occassional birthday wishes through fb (like if that didn't exist who knows how many birthday wishes I'd get) and through sms', which I'm thankful to all for. And since I've just celebrated my day already a day ago, I feel like I should just take it easy and catch up on things left undone or needed to be done at home. Being the eldest in the house (despite really being the middle child), I feel like I have so much responsibility... probably due to my maturity level and what it convinces me I should be doing and how I should live my life.

After receiving thoughtful gifts from my lovely high school mates (and 'xiao mei'), I realise I must give back. :) My presents are the awesome because I don't think too much about the price of things, meaning from the gifts I receive, I don't equate my gifts to those in terms of how much they cost and even better, I pick the things I love to give to those I love. ^^ Most of the time, they're things I can match up to those friends since knowing them for about 3-5 years by now. And due to the reason I am able to buy so much is because of my work and conservative spending habits. :P

That should be all for now. Hot pot tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment